There has been huge debates and discussions online as to which is the best ecommerce website software to use. Many will recommend Magento, some will opt for shopify or volusion and others will choose ekmPowershop or even Big Commerce.
So who do you listen to and who do you choose as your preferred ecommerce solution provider? I am sure you have many reviews on may websites and all that happens is that you now are suffering from ‘information overload’.
You may see this as just another opportunity for someone (me) to write a review to persuade you to use one over the other. However this is not the case and I will tell you why.
I have over 20 years experience in IT which has covered Network Support, Web Design & Development, and then moving into the Online Marketing arena and SEO (Search Engine Optimisation) additionally I have worked in house for some large blue chip companies and also worked for online marketing agencies and to finish of I am a Google Approved Individual.
You may be wondering why I am telling you this, but believe me when I tell you that my experience and knowledge over the last 20 years has led me down the road of testing almost every ecommerce website solution available on the market, some of which have been around for years. Below is just a small selection of the platforms I have tested.
So how do you choose the right solution for you? Firstly you will look on the internet for reviews and read articles like this. I can 99.9% predict the order in which you will evaluate any of the eccomerce website solutions.
- Cost – This will most likely be the first thing you look at; the price point, how much is it going to cost. However you will also be presented with options such as the below… please note (e)
a) Bandwidth Allowance
b) Number of products you are allowed to add
c) Whether they charge a transaction fee on each product you sell
d) Other additional products that are included
e) And most probably one of these columns will be highlighted and words such as ‘Best Value’ or ‘Most Popular’ – take my advice and experience on this matter… do NOT go for these packages, they are their for one reason ‘To gain more money out of you’. Where some of the other ecommerce solutions have the same, if not more for a fraction of the cost.
- Templates – what do they look like, do they fit in with your ideas (which are more than likely in your head, even if you don’t know it) Visualising your products.
- Features – what is included in the the package you are signing up for.
Once you have evaluated the above 3, you will most likely sign up for one of the free trials and evaluate the below:
- Usability – how easy is it to use
- Support – what support is on offer to you during the trial period
- Addons – you will look to see what addons are available and do they cost additional to the monthly fee advertised.
- Once you have set up your test shop, you may only then realise that you haven’t actually picked the right platform for you.
I am going to attempt to take the headache away from you by looking at arguably the top 3 hosted ecommerce website providers, and also a few more.